You will be responsible for managing our M&A business in the South West region as part of a 5 strong team of peers (Scotland, North, Midlands, South East, South West). You will lead transactions, be responsible for developing new business and manage a team to achieve agreed regional M&A objectives.
Developing our business:
- Identify and realise new M&A business opportunities. Drive regional growth through effective Business Development (BD), liaising with the CMO, Pillar Heads and Regional Directors on BD/Pipeline initiatives.
- Lead one-off strategic projects that contribute to the growth and development of the firm.
- Make a significant contribution to the operational effectiveness, supportive culture, and overall success of the Firm.
- Champion at least one sector specialism and communicate the value of all our services to potential clients.
- Present sector and technical thought leadership and insight, both internally and externally to grow the regional profile of the M&A team and Shaw & Co Brand.
- Build a strong regional client base – and external professional and referral networks.
- Act as an ambassador of the firm, participate in regional business events and keeping abreast of the wide range of services the firm offers. Actively bring in other services to client work.
- Work with Head of M&A and other Regional Directors to develop new and extend existing service stream methodologies.
- Lead, grow and develop a team whose focus is on winning clients, delivering high value M&A services, and moving the business forward.
- Responsible for looking after a portfolio of clients and leading in the delivery of large, complex M&A assignments, including client management, leading negotiations, providing advice based on sound judgement, providing sector insights and reviewing technical aspects of deals.
- Oversee client engagements and deliverables, monitoring progress, quality control, budget, project timetable, and client quality, expectations, and interaction.
- Champion M&A compliance: ensure team are working ethically and lead by example on risk management.
- Maintain a high level of technical skills and playing a lead role in knowledge sharing with the M&A team and wider Shaw & Co community.
- Support and incubate innovation and creativity within M&A Pillar.
- Monitor and guide M&A Managers regarding all areas of project/resource management and client contracts and documentation.
- Instil a data-driven mindset across the team so that all key decisions are made using commercially sound analysis.
Leading the team
- Effectively lead, motivate & manage the regional M&A team in line with our values, brand promise and core competencies.
- Support recruitment, retention, and people development initiatives that secure, retain, and inspire colleagues to embrace our culture and grow our business.
- Create opportunities for the team and individual colleagues to be coached and given on job training in a variety of complex, technically challenging work to support talent retention and career development.
- Provide managers with and encourage them to deliver timely and effective feedback to their team members’, to drive performance and support development.
- Ensure monitoring of team and individual performance is conducted and that early and effective action is taken to guide and assist colleagues, implementing performance management measures when necessary.
- Ensure formal appraisals are undertaken twice a year for all M&A people within regional team which are open, honest, constructive with agreed recorded outcomes and scheduled follow- up.
- Play an active role in the creation and implementation of people development plans for all team members.
Knowledge, skills, experience and attributes:
- Commercial mindset, focus on client service and strong ambition to build the regional M&A business.
- Able to sense deal opportunities, using intuition and strong influencing skills to solve commercially complex problems.
- Proven deal tactician able to sense and leverage motivations during deal negotiations to deliver results.
- Builds and maintains clients trust, forming excellent working relationships.
- Extensive Corporate Finance, M&A, and private equity market knowledge and experience, gained either from industry or consulting.
- Experience of identifying, originating and driving opportunities – using regional and sector knowledge gained from extensive M&A projects
- Experience of valuations in the context of M&A transactions (which include but are not limited to, independent financial reporting, offer assessment and sell side market guidance, regulatory and tax valuations)
- Proven ability to sell advisory services and develop new M&A business relationships with clients.
- Deep understanding of market trends and value drivers that underpin the growth and development of the M&A market. Specifically, how market trends would shape the value creation strategy and multiples, growth and risk profile of different client types and sectors.
Technical & Professional
Qualifications and relevant experience.
- Relevant experience of at least 5/6 Years + PQE.
- Relevant professional qualification preferable (ACA/ACCA)
- Relevant technical and management experience at a similar level/ in a similar role.
- Ability to develop and maintain an in-depth technical knowledge.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of regulatory and statutory requirements.
If you would you to apply for this position please send your CV and cover letter using the button below.